Comply with me on Twitter @drClaire
It’s summer season — time for holidays, summer season camp, outside actions, and all kinds of different enjoyable. A few of these enjoyable summer season actions, although, can have well being and security dangers.
Listed here are six issues you are able to do to assist make certain that everybody’s summer season recollections are good ones:
- Use sunscreen. This sounds apparent, however usually we nonetheless overlook to make use of it. We keep in mind after we go to the seashore or pool, however we don’t at all times consider it after we go sightseeing, do gardening, go to an out of doors occasion, or simply play outdoors. In case your baby goes to be out within the solar, use sunscreen. Use a sunscreen that’s water-proof, no less than SPF 30, and blocks each UVA and UVB rays. Cowl all uncovered pores and skin, and keep in mind to reapply each couple of hours, sooner in case your baby has been within the water. Not solely does this defend your baby from the discomfort of sunburn, it could forestall future pores and skin most cancers.
- Be certain that your baby is at all times supervised round water. By no means depend on flotation or security units similar to lifejackets; whereas they are often useful and ought to be used every time advisable (like when kayaking or on different boats), there’s merely nothing that takes the place of fixed supervision. Drowning could be very quiet; if you happen to wait to listen to your baby yell for assist, you’ll miss it. Summer time generally is a good time to enhance your baby’s swimming abilities. Whereas even good swimmers can drown, all youngsters ought to be taught to swim; try swimming classes in your space. And keep in mind, when you’ve got a pool, it ought to be fenced on all sides, separated from the home, and have a self-latching or self-locking gate.
- Use insect repellent. Specialists are saying that this 12 months might be a nasty one for ticks particularly, and whereas more often than not mosquito bites simply result in itching, they’ll result in sicknesses like West Nile or Zika. So together with getting right into a sunscreen behavior, get into the behavior of utilizing insect repellent when your baby goes outdoors. The chemical that offers the most effective safety towards each mosquitoes and ticks is DEET (N, N-diethyl-meta-toluamide). The upper the share of DEET, the longer it protects; don’t use larger than 30% on youngsters, and don’t reapply. Whereas the commonest facet impact of DEET is pores and skin irritation, there’s a very small threat of mind results similar to seizures. Oil of lemon eucalyptus could be efficient as effectively and has fewer negative effects, so it may be a good selection if the chance of bites is a bit decrease. The Environmental Safety Company has an incredible instrument that may aid you select insect repellents based mostly on what you are attempting to guard towards and for the way lengthy.
- Be certain that your baby wears a helmet when advisable. Whether or not it’s biking, driving a scooter, or taking part in sports activities similar to baseball or soccer, helmets can maintain your baby’s head — and mind — protected. The Client Product Security Fee has some actually helpful info for choosing the proper and greatest helmet for various actions.
- Use your garden mower safely. Yearly, 1000’s of youngsters are damage attributable to garden mowers, and a few of these accidents could be critical. Do not forget that a toddler ought to be no less than 12 years previous earlier than utilizing a push mower and no less than 16 earlier than a driving one, and that sturdy footwear and eye safety are essential for whoever makes use of the mower. All the time verify the garden earlier than mowing to search for something that may grow to be a projectile, and when buying a push mower, search for one which stops shifting ahead when the deal with is launched. In case you have younger youngsters, it’s greatest to have them play inside whenever you mow. The American Academy of Pediatrics has a video that evaluations garden mower security suggestions.
- Evaluate what to do in case your baby will get misplaced or separated from you. If you end up outdoors, particularly within the woods or in crowded public locations, it’s straightforward to get separated. Whereas cell telephones are useful, not all youngsters have them, you’ll be able to’t rely on reception, and the battery doesn’t final perpetually. Everytime you go someplace, speak about what to do if you happen to get separated. Have a gathering place, determine the “serving to individuals” similar to workers or policemen which are protected to go to, and in any other case discuss by way of attainable eventualities. It solely takes a minute to do and might make all of the distinction.
As a service to our readers, Harvard Well being Publishing offers entry to our library of archived content material. Please be aware the date of final evaluation or replace on all articles.
No content material on this website, no matter date, ought to ever be used as an alternative to direct medical recommendation out of your physician or different certified clinician.
Commenting has been closed for this submit.