Have household or mates in assisted residing amenities? Discovering the proper present might be sophisticated. Well being points might rule out some items: cross off sweets or goodies for individuals who have to maintain blood sugar below management. There isn’t a lot area for further belongings within the condo or room. In some instances, your giftee’s bodily or psychological capabilities (or each) are declining.
“Any present you give will in all probability be appreciated,” says Dr. Suzanne Salamon, affiliate chief of gerontology at Harvard-affiliated Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Middle. “But it surely helps if it’s one thing the particular person can actually use and can get pleasure from. Tailor it to their specific illnesses, wants, and pursuits.” Under is a roundup that may assist you choose an ideal present for the vacations — or another event.
Presents for social engagement
“Many individuals really feel lonely and remoted in assisted residing amenities. Conserving family members socially related combats that, and in addition helps thrust back continual illness and cognitive decline,” Salamon notes. Presents that will match the invoice embrace:
- A easy telephone. The simpler a telephone is to function, the extra seemingly the one you love will have the ability to use it. That could possibly be a landline telephone with massive, easy-to-read numbers ($25 and up), a flip telephone ($35 and up), or a smartphone with few buttons and apps ($50 and up). Keep in mind that cell telephones include month-to-month service prices; costs rely upon the service.
- A sensible speaker. If telephone use is just too laborious for the one you love, contemplate a wise speaker ($20 and up) that may be programmed to dial essential numbers (like yours). Instructions might be mentioned aloud at any time to make a name. Examine in case your liked has web service, which is required for sensible speaker use.
- A photograph e book. A loose-leaf picture album (lower than $20) or simply created picture e book ($10 and extra) with latest images of household and mates could also be a heat reminder of connections, or could be a present to share with others within the assisted residing facility. That social interplay is essential for well being. Plus, it is going to make the particular person really feel good to see all of these images of people that love them.
Presents to help independence
Well being issues could make easy actions difficult. These items can provide the one you love somewhat independence.
- Adaptive instruments. Your beloved could possibly take again some management of dressing with a long-handled shoehorn, a button hook, or a zipper pull (lower than $10 every).
- A magnifying glass. Particularly useful for these with impaired imaginative and prescient (and who hasn’t misplaced studying glasses?), having a magnifying glass ($5 and up) is useful for studying or seeing small objects. For a pleasant improve, make it a lighted magnifying glass ($15).
- Handwriting aids. Hand arthritis or neurodegenerative situations (akin to Parkinson’s illness) make writing tough. Ergonomically-shaped adaptive pens ($10 and up) can assist the one you love jot down data or ideas.
Presents for sharper pondering expertise
“Difficult your mind or studying new data promotes new mind cell connections, which assist defend and keep cognition,” Dr. Salamon says. Give the one you love one thing that may make the method straightforward and enjoyable, akin to the next:
- A each day trivia calendar. (About $15)
- Massive-print nonfiction or fiction books. ($5 and up). Audio picks are pleasurable, too.
- Massive-print books of mind video games and puzzles. ($5 and up)
- A print subscription to a well being publication, such because the Harvard Well being Letter ($24).
Presents to ease well being points
A well-chosen present can carry consolation and assist ease well being points. Strive addressing somebody’s aches and pains with items akin to:
- A microwavable warmth wrap ($15 and up).
- A handheld massager ($5 and up).
Or you might tackle circulatory issues that make folks really feel chilly or enhance the chance for blood clots within the legs. Concepts embrace:
- A comfortable fleece blanket ($10 and up).
- Heat slippers with slip-resistant soles ($20 and up).
- Brightly patterned compression stockings with enjoyable designs ($15 and up). You’ll want to examine the scale in order that they aren’t too small for the one you love.
Presents to trace well being
Although assisted residing facility staffers monitor residents’ well being, the one you love might discover it helpful to have one of many following items:
- A blood stress monitor ($30 and up). Search for one with a cuff that goes across the higher arm; inflates routinely; has a lighted background with massive numbers; and is licensed by the Affiliation for the Development of Medical Instrumentation, the British Hypertension Society, or the European Society of Hypertension.
- A digital “stick” thermometer ($10 and up). The suitable one will probably be massive and simple to carry, with a lighted background and huge numbers.
Not fairly proper?
Hold pondering. A pleasant, heat fleece sweater ($20 and up)? Further studying glasses to position in favourite nooks ($15 and up)? If none of those concepts is correct, contemplate giving a wholesome deal with. An amazing selection proper now’s recent citrus (ship a field for $30 and up). “Keep away from grapefruit, which may intervene with sure medicines,” Dr. Salamon advises, “however oranges or tangerines are candy and wealthy in vitamin C, which helps a wholesome immune system. And that’s an ideal present.”
Commenting has been closed for this submit.