Comply with me on Twitter @drClaire
Holidays are finest when they’re spent having enjoyable with family and friends — not spent in an emergency room. But yearly that’s the place 1000’s of individuals find yourself, resulting from holiday-related accidents and sicknesses. Listed below are some ideas to assist hold your kids secure and effectively this vacation season, from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
They make every little thing extra festive, that’s true, however they are often harmful.
- If you happen to purchase a stay tree, be sure it’s not dried out. Reduce just a few inches off the underside, and hold the stand full of water.
- If you happen to use a synthetic tree, ensure it’s fireplace resistant.
- Watch out about the place you place a tree. Don’t put it close to one thing scorching, don’t put it someplace it’s more likely to get knocked over, or the place it blocks folks strolling.
- If there are babies in the home, don’t use decorations that kids may choke on, or that might break simply and trigger cuts. If you wish to put them on a tree, hold them up excessive.
- Keep away from decorations that appear like meals. Youngsters would possibly attempt to eat them.
- Test lights for free or frayed wires earlier than placing them up.
- Earlier than placing lights exterior, ensure they’re meant to go exterior (water and electrical energy is a foul mixture).
- Do not forget that mistletoe berries, Jerusalem cherries, and holly berries will be toxic if eaten.
- If you happen to gentle candles, guarantee that they’re someplace secure, and don’t depart them unattended.
Make it possible for they convey pleasure, not hurt. That is most necessary for younger kids.
- Take note of the age suggestions, and observe them. They’re there for a purpose.
- If there aren’t age suggestions to information you, don’t purchase (or in any other case reward) something with small items for a kid lower than 3 years outdated. This contains small items which can be seemingly hooked up (like automotive wheels or buttons on garments) however may come unattached.
- Be cautious of something involving button batteries or magnets if there are babies in the home. Swallowing both one can result in severe issues.
- Take away tags, strings, and ribbons from toys earlier than giving to a younger little one to play with.
- Watch out of toys that contain projectiles (and toy weapons). You should buy them, however have household floor guidelines earlier than utilizing them.
- If there are kids of assorted ages in the home, while you’re out procuring, purchase some containers with lids to carry the large children’ toys (like all these Lego bricks), so you may hold them separate from the little children’ toys.
Making vacation meals generally is a fantastic custom, and will be secure with just a few precautions.
- Ensure that meat and poultry is cooked completely, and uncooked produce is washed effectively.
- Thaw meat within the fridge, not on the counter.
- Hold cooked and uncooked meals separated within the fridge, in order that the uncooked stuff doesn’t contaminate the cooked stuff with micro organism.
- Whereas sampling the raw meals or candy is half the enjoyable, make certain that the raw meals is suitable for eating raw, and use a distinct utensil to pattern than to stir.
- Wash your arms — and your helpers’ arms — usually.
- If there are babies underfoot whilst you prepare dinner, hold scorching liquids out of attain, use again burners as a substitute of entrance every time doable, and switch pot handles in order that they’re out of attain. Hold knives out of the attain of curious kids attempting to be useful, too.
- After a celebration, clear up meals (particularly meals that might be choked on) and drinks (particularly alcoholic ones) from anyplace inside the attain of a kid who could get up earlier than you within the morning.
Spending time at different folks’s homes is a crucial a part of the vacation season.
- In case you have babies, do a fast evaluation of dangers like stairs, kitchens, bogs, drugs, and entry to the skin. Make a plan as to the place your little one ought to — and shouldn’t — be whilst you go to.
- Convey just a few secure toys in your little one to play with.
- It’s straightforward to get distracted at a vacation get together. Make a plan to make sure your little one is supervised always.
- In case you are planning to drink alcohol, both have a chosen driver or make a plan for a distinct technique to get dwelling.
- In case you are planning greater than only a day or night journey, take a look at our publish on secure travels with kids.
As a service to our readers, Harvard Well being Publishing gives entry to our library of archived content material. Please be aware the date of final evaluate or replace on all articles.
No content material on this website, no matter date, ought to ever be used as an alternative choice to direct medical recommendation out of your physician or different certified clinician.
Commenting has been closed for this publish.