Observe me on Twitter @JohnRossMD
If you happen to suppose that there’s lots of flu going round this winter, you’re completely proper. Each state besides Hawaii is reporting widespread influenza exercise, making for lots of depressing folks affected by traditional flu signs of cough, fever, headache, stuffy nostril, and achy muscle tissue. Hospitals throughout the US have been flooded with flu sufferers. Issues have been made worse by nationwide shortages of IV fluids within the wake of Hurricane Maria.
Are we headed towards a traditionally dangerous flu season? It’s too early to inform. This 12 months, it might simply be that flu season, which is normally at its worst in February, is peaking early. Even a median flu season is a public well being catastrophe, resulting in between 12,000 and 56,000 extra deaths in American adults. There have been a number of tragic and broadly publicized deaths of youngsters this flu season, with not less than 30 such circumstances up to now. Sadly, this isn’t that uncommon. In the US, 98 children died of flu-related problems in the newest flu season. In recent times, deaths of youngsters from flu within the US have ranged from 35 in 2011–2012, to a peak of 282 within the 2009–2010 flu season. Most kids who die after influenza have a high-risk underlying medical downside, equivalent to bronchial asthma, cerebral palsy, or coronary heart illness, however 43% have been beforehand wholesome.
To date this 12 months, the main flu sort is H3N2, a pressure of influenza A virus. Final 12 months, the flu vaccine was solely round 32% efficient in opposition to H3N2, whereas offering a lot better safety in opposition to the opposite two main flu strains. It’s not too late to get a flu vaccine if you happen to haven’t already. Some safety in opposition to flu is healthier than none. Even when the flu vaccine will not be utterly protecting in opposition to H3N2, it will probably scale back the danger of a life-threatening case. It’s additionally frequent for different forms of virus, equivalent to influenza B, to emerge late in flu season, and the vaccine normally offers higher protection for these different strains.
Different measures to guard your self and others in opposition to flu embrace:
- Handwashing or use of hand sanitizer
- Conserving your arms away out of your eyes, nostril, and mouth
- Staying house from work, college, or church if in case you have flulike signs
- Protecting your mouth and nostril when sneezing and coughing; it’s good for public well being (to not point out good manners!)
- If potential, avoiding contact with sick sufferers till 5 to 7 days after they turn into in poor health
- Getting each forms of the pneumonia vaccine in case you are over 65 years outdated, or if in case you have an underlying medical situation (bacterial pneumonia is quite common after influenza an infection)
- Consuming properly, staying lively, and getting evening’s sleep.
Commenting has been closed for this publish.